Ivan Buev is chiefly known as a painter and a graphic artist and yet he also worked in the monumental and applied art fields. During the 1920s, he studied at VKhUTEIN (Higher State Artistic and Technical Institute), Moscow. In partnership with Boris Iordanskii, Buev worked on the Soviet pavilion for the International Exposition of Art and Technology in Modern Life in Paris (Paris Expo) held from 1936-1937.
Boris Viacheslavovich Iordanskii studied at VKhUTEMAS-VKhUTEIN (Higher Art and Technical Institute) in Moscow from 1922 to 1930. He was a member of A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution) from 1928 to 1931 and of RAPKh (Association of Soviet Artists) in Moscow from 1931 to '32. Iordanskii is known primarily for his paintings and monumental art designs but he also worked in the genre of graphic arts (i.e. posters) during his career. As an instructor of art, Iordanskii taught at MIPIDI (Moscow Institute of Applied and Decorative Art) in the early 1950s. The year of his death has been recorded as having occurred in 1983 and in 2003 in various publications.
Historically, the 24th Lithography Workshop was owned by Fedor Kibbel' prior to Soviet nationalization. It was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Shortly after the workshop was nationalized, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), the head of the Soviet trade union and director of the State Publishing House. By the 1930s, this workshop became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and it was managed by the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust.
Ogiz (Ob"edinenie gosudarstvennykh knizhno-zhurnal'nykh izdatel'stv) is the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. It was established in 1930 by the RSFSR Sovnarkom to centralize all publishing activities in the Soviet Union. Aside from centralization, Ogiz helped eliminate duplication of printed products. Posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under the Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo) fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".