Ivan Buev is chiefly known as a painter and a graphic artist and yet he also worked in the monumental and applied art fields. During the 1920s, he studied at VKhUTEIN (Higher State Artistic and Technical Institute), Moscow. In partnership with Boris Iordanskii, Buev worked on the Soviet pavilion for the International Exposition of Art and Technology in Modern Life in Paris (Paris Expo) held from 1936-1937.
Boris Viacheslavovich Iordanskii studied at VKhUTEMAS-VKhUTEIN (Higher Art and Technical Institute) in Moscow from 1922 to 1930. He was a member of A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution) from 1928 to 1931 and a member of RAPKh (Association of Soviet Artists) in Moscow from 1931 to 1932. Iordanskii is known primarily for his paintings and monumental art designs but he also worked in the genre of graphic arts (i.e. posters) during his career. As an instructor of art during the early 1950s, Iordanskii taught at MIPIDI (Moscow Institute of Applied and Decorative Art). He was a member of the Moscow branch of the Union of Artists of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. In 1947, he became a member of the Communist Party. Published works record Iordanskii's death as having occurred in 1983 and in 1987.
The 24th Lithography Workshop was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Historically, the workshop had its roots in Imperial Russia and it was a large printing operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel). Shortly after the printer was nationalized by the Soviets, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop. In 1924, the workshop was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. During the early 1930s, the printer was reorganized as the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) state printing trust.
Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).