Prior to his professional life as a graphic artist and an architect, Naum Grigorievich Borov studied and graduated (in 1930) from VKhUTEIN (Higher Art and Technical Institute). Borov worked as a designer, artist and decorator of mass celebrations. As an architect, he worked in the design studios of Mossovet (city administration of Moscow) engaged in interior decoration, architectural and urban decor. During World War II, he served as a lieutenant and company commander on the Karelian front.
Grigorii Samulovich Zamskii was born in western Russia. He studied painting in Moscow at VKHUTEMAS - VKHUTEIN (Higher Art and Technical Institute) from 1923 to 1930. Thereafter, the artist lived in Moscow where he worked primarily as a monumentalist and as a graphic designer. Zamskii was involved in the design of the Crimean pavilion at the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition in 1923 and he worked on the Soviet pavilion for the Milan International Samples Fair of 1926 in addition to exhibiting his own work at the International Printing Exhibition in Cologne, Germany in 1928.
OSVOD began as a voluntary lifesaving organization in the 1870s in Imperial Russia. The Imperial-based entity was formed to prevent accidents, to teach swimming and rescue techniques, to assist in rescue service, to develop rescue equipment, to overcome problems of water rescue, and to regulate amateur boating. In 1918, the Imperial water lifesaving organization was placed under the government's Department of Water Transport. In 1925 the Council of People’s Commissars established OSNAV (Central Committee of the Society for Water Rescue) within the People’s Commissariat of Railroad Transportation and in 1931, OSNAV was renamed OSVOD. The organization was abolished in 1943 and all aspects of state water rescue were transferred to the people’s commissariats of the maritime and river fleets. In 1948, state rescue authority was placed under DOSFLOT (All-Union Voluntary Society for Cooperation with the Navy) and in 1956, DOSFLOT was transferred to DOSAAF (All-Union Voluntary Society for Cooperation with the Army, Air Force, and Navy). In 1966, DOSAAF's operations and functions were assigned to a number of ministries within the Union republics.
Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).