Viktor Ivanovich Govorkov studied art in the studios of the Club for Soviet Workers in Vladivostok during the mid-1920s. From 1926 to 1930, Govorkov studied at VKhUTEIN [Higher Art and Technical Institute] in Moscow under the tutelage of Sergei Gerasimov where he concentrated in monumental art. His thesis at VKhUTEIN was a sketch for a panel intended for decoration on Red Square in preparation for the May Day festivities there in 1930. Upon his graduation he served in the Red Army. His professional career began when he obtained a job as an illustrator at two Vladivostok newspapers. During the 1920s, Govorkov was active in book design. He began to exhibit professionally in 1931.
The Kalinin Poligrafkombinat of Glavpoligrafprom was located at 5 Lenin Ave. (formerly Voroshilov Street) in Kalinin (now, Tver) a city northwest of Moscow. Poligrafkombinat is the portmanteau word for "printing plant". The plant was under the management of Glavpoligrafprom (Main Directorate of the Printing Industry) during the mid-1950s into the 1970s.
Sovetskii Khudozhnik (Soviet Artist) was a publishing house that chiefly served the Artists’ Union of the USSR. The house was founded in Moscow in 1963 during a period of reorganization within the state publishing sector. Sovetskii Khudozhnik turned out albums, art reproductions, postcards and art books, catalogs, brochures and, posters. It also produced illustrated monographs on contemporary artists and collections. In the early 1990s, it was renamed Galart Publishing House.