The Workers’ Club is the Hearth of Revolutionary Thought. [bottom text, left] Club Section of the Extramural Department of the Commissariat of Public Education.

Poster Number: PP 468
Poster Notes: [On banner] Workers’ Club; [At top right] Workers of the World, Unite!; In the 1920s, the government developed clubs for trade unions, political organizations and workers. These were often housed anywhere there was extra space such as in former residences and churches. The clubs were non-restrictive and served as cultural outlets. According to architectural historian Anatole Kopp, a club was provided as a place that was, "...no longer that of an elite but of the mass, no longer acquired in the silence of the study or in halls of learning, but in a group bound by common interests and an awareness of their need."
Media Size: 39x30
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c.1919
Sources & Citation: Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1918-1921 by B. S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), page 497 poster 3366
Catalog Notes: PP 468 Communist Culture b
Artist: Artist Unknown — неизвестный художник

The artist's name on the poster is not indicated. By assigning Artist Unknown to a poster it also could mean the artist used a chop mark whereby no signature is seen thus rendering the artist's identity anonymous.

Read More...
Printer: 15th State Typography Workshop, Petrograd [St. Petersburg] — 15-я Государственная типографская, Петроград

The 15th State Typography Workshop began its history as the lithographic partnership of R.R. Golike and A.I. Vil’borg. It was located at 11 Zvenigorodskaia Street in St. Petersburg. The firm of Golike and Vil’borg became the 15th State Typography Workshop after Soviet nationalization and in 1922, the workshop was placed into the Poligraftrust where it became the Petropechat' Typolithography named for Fedorov. Ivan Fedorov (c.1525-1583) is often referred to as the first Russian printer. The workshop carried the Federov name until around 1934 and, in the decades following, it was also called the 3rd Typography Workshop.

Read More...
Publisher: Narkompros (People’s Commissariat for Education) — Наркомпрос

The People's Commissariat for Education (Narkompros) was formed in 1918. Education in the USSR remained under the Commissariat until 1946 when it was re-positioned as the Ministry of Education. Narkompros encompassed the former Imperial Ministry of Public Education, the State Education Committee, and the former Palace Ministry, an entity that managed theaters and the Academy of Arts and the royal palaces. Narkompros was first headed by Anatoli Lunacharskii, an art critic, author and a journalist. He supplanted Sergei Oldenburg, a noted “orientalist” and Tsarist Minister of Education. Overseeing Narkompros was the All-Russian Central Executive Committee (VTsIK) and Lunacharskii happened to be one of its elected members. Narkompros was divided into sections dedicated to: eradication of illiteracy, professional education, adult education, theatrical studies, among other divisions. There were also censorship offices (referred to as "control") to scrutinize publishing, live performances and public speeches in order to protect the government and the masses. While Narkompros was concerned with education, Proletkult (proletarskaya kultura) was supposed to be the creative overseer of the “proletarian” society. Accomplishing little more than disorganization and infighting, the Central Committee of the Bolshevik Party brought Proletkult to heel by assigning its duties to Narkompros in 1920 thus strengthening the Commissariat's sphere of influence.

Read More...