La Asociación de Trabajadores es el corazón del pensamiento revolucionario. [Parte inferior izquierda] Sección de la Asociación del Departamento de Extramuros del Comisariado de Educación Pública.

Número de Cartel: PP 468
Información sobre el cartel: [On banner] Workers’ Club; [At top right] Workers of the World, Unite!; In the 1920s, the government developed clubs for trade unions, political organizations and workers. These were often housed anywhere there was extra space such as in former residences and churches. The clubs were non-restrictive and served as cultural outlets. According to architectural historian Anatole Kopp, a club was provided as a place that was, "...no longer that of an elite but of the mass, no longer acquired in the silence of the study or in halls of learning, but in a group bound by common interests and an awareness of their need."
Tamaño: 39x30
Tipo de cartel: Lithograph
Fecha de publicación: c.1919
Fuentes: Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1918-1921 by B. S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), page 497 poster 3366
Información en el catálogo: PP 468 Communist Culture b
Artista: Artist Unknown — неизвестный художник

The artist's name on the poster is not indicated. By assigning Artist Unknown to a poster it also could mean the artist used a chop mark whereby no signature is seen thus rendering the artist's identity anonymous.

Leer más...
Imprenta: 15th State Typography Workshop, Petrograd [St. Petersburg] — 15-я Государственная типографская, Петроград

The 15th State Typography Workshop began its history as the lithographic partnership of R.R. Golike and A.I. Vil’borg. It was located at 11 Zvenigorodskaia Street in St. Petersburg. The firm of Golike and Vil’borg became the 15th State Typography Workshop after Soviet nationalization and in 1922, the workshop was placed into the Poligraftrust where it became the Petropechat' Typolithography named for Fedorov. Ivan Fedorov (c.1525-1583) is often referred to as the first Russian printer. The workshop carried the Federov name until around 1934 and, in the decades following, it was also called the 3rd Typography Workshop.

Leer más...
Editorial: Narkompros (People’s Commissariat for Education) — Наркомпрос

The People's Commissariat for Education (Narkompros) was formed in 1918 and it encompassed the former Imperial Ministry of Public Education, the State Education Committee, and the former Palace Ministry (an entity that managed theaters, the Academy of Arts and the royal palaces). Overseeing Narkompros was the All-Russian Central Executive Committee (VTsIK). As the main educational branch of the government, Narkompros carried out a compliment of programs such as the combating of illiteracy, professional education, adult education, and increasing public arts through its Proletkult (proletarskaya kultura) division. In 1922, state censorship was regulated via the office of Glavlit (Main Administration for Literature and Publishing of the People's Commissariat for Education)-- the censorship authority over Narkompros. Referred to as "control"; all publishing, live performances and public speeches were scrutinized by Narkompros editorial boards for potential security risks. Anatoli Lunacharskii, an art critic, author and journalist, headed Narkompros until 1929. In 1946, Narkompros was re-organized as the Ministry of Education.

Leer más...