Viktor Ivanov attended Moscow Secondary Professional Art School from 1926 to 1929. In 1928, he took classes at a studio of Dmitrii Kardovskii and, from 1929 to 1933, he continued his education at the Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture affiliated with the Russian Academy of Arts in Leningrad. Viktor Ivanov began to work for the central publishing house Ogiz-Izogiz in 1931 where he achieved acclaim as a graphic designer with a concentration in poster development. Ivanov began to exhibit professionally in 1934. He contributed to the TASS (Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union) Studios between 1941 and 1943 and created approximately nineteen posters for that entity.
Located at 9 Kronverkskaia Street in Leningrad, the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant had its roots in Imperial Russia. It was a large printing house founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel) located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg, (A.K.A. Petrograd). In 1917, the Council of People’s Commissars of Labor nationalized the printing house. In 1918, the Soviet government named the printing house the 1st State Lithography and thereafter, it underwent a variety of name changes. In 1924 it was re-named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. In the mid-1930s, it became the 24th Lithography Workshop of OGIZ (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and by the early 1950s, its name was changed to the 1st Leningrad Offset Printing Plant operating under the UPP of Lensovnarkoz. It remained under the UPP into the early 1960s when it was re-named the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant. Thereafter, it underwent management changes such as being under the printing trusts of Glavpoligrafprom, Glavpoligrafizdat and Soiuzpoligrafprom.
Izogiz was the fine arts section of Ogiz publishing. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".