Pavel Petrovich Sokolov-Skalia was best known for his painting of "nationalist subjects" with characteristics of 19th-century Russian realism. In his youth he worked as an apprentice in the studio of Il’ia Mashkov, one of Imperial Russia's great modern masters. He later continued his arts education at VKhUTEMAS (Higher Art and Technical Studios) and later became a founding member of the avant-garde collective Bytie (Being). When the group dissolved around 1926, he became a member of A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution). He was also active as an instructor at A.Kh.R. and became one of its lead teachers. Sokolov-Skalia also taught at MIPIDI (Moscow Institute of Applied and Decorative Art), the Potemkin Pedagogical Institute (in Moscow) and at MGKhI (Moscow Secondary Art School). In 1925 and in 1932 he was associated with Put MOPRa, a magazine of the International Society for Relief of Revolutionaries (MOPR).
Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. In 1921, the Soviet Union formulated a plan to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts and in 1922, Mospoligraf was organized to consolidate the Moscow printing industry. Mospoligraf was the second printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust and it secured a myriad of printing houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. Mospoligraf incorporated over two thousand workers. When it was reorganized, it went on to lease to other operators. For example, two printers in the Mospoligraf trust-- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishers. While government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, efforts to consolidate the printing industry remained disjointed throughout the history of the USSR.
Bezbozhnik Publishing House was formerly the Athiest Publishing House. Around 1931 it was taken over by the anti-religious newspaper Bezbozhnik-- the organ of the League of Militant Atheists.