Aleksandr Alekseevich Korobov attended secondary school and drawing classes in Dorogobuzh, Smolensk Oblast. In 1923, he moved to the city of Smolensk and continued his studies at the Ministry of Public Education’s IZO (Fine Arts) studio. To earn money, he worked as a staff artist at a regional newspaper and taught drawing at a middle school.
Woldemar Petrovich Anderson was born into a working class family in Latvia. Early in life, he was enrolled in the Riga School of Painters and Decorators in 1910 but halted his education due to the outbreak of the First World War. From 1917 to 1922, he served with the 7th Latvian Rifle Regiment under the auspices of the Red Army during the Russian Civil War. Following the war, he moved to the USSR where he was a representative of the Latvian minority in the Soviet Union and he participated in the Latvian Labor Art Community that contained artists of the avant-garde movement. In 1922, he enrolled in classes at VKhUTEMAS (Higher Art and Technical Studios) and graduated in 1924. He subsequently began teaching in their art department after graduation. That same year, he became a member of A.Kh.R.R. (Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia). Anderson began exhibiting professionally as early as 1918, and he participated in the exhibition of the Tenth Anniversary of the Red Army (1928).
Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. In 1921, the Soviet Union formulated a plan to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts and in 1922, Mospoligraf was organized to consolidate the Moscow printing industry. Mospoligraf was the second printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust and it secured a myriad of printing houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. Mospoligraf incorporated over two thousand workers. When it was reorganized, it went on to lease to other operators. For example, two printers in the Mospoligraf trust-- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishers. While government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, efforts to consolidate the printing industry remained disjointed throughout the history of the USSR.
The Association of Artists of the Revolution was an artist cooperative from 1928 to 1932. From 1922-1928 it was called the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia.