The proletariat of a great country, the avant-garde of the building of the world revolutionary professional movement.

Poster Number: PP 699
Category: Revolution
Poster Notes: Poster is in Russian and English with another unidentified language. The Profintern is the Red International of Labor Unions, a world-wide organization established by the Communist International to carry-out Communist aims within trade unions. By the 1937, the Profintern was phased out when the "Popular Front" came of age as a new Leftist-leaning international organization. [On flag near top of poster] Workers of all Countries, Unite! 10 Years of PROFINTERN!
Media Size: 42x30
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1932
Technical Information on Poster: Order A.Kh.R. No. P 2066.
Glavlit Directory Number: 68414
Catalog Notes: PP 699 Revolution
Artist: Korobov, Alexander Alexeevich — Коробов, Александр Алексеевич

Aleksandr Alekseevich Korobov attended secondary school and drawing classes in Dorogobuzh, Smolensk Oblast. In 1923, he moved to the city of Smolensk and continued his studies at the Ministry of Public Education’s IZO (Fine Arts) studio. To earn money, he worked as a staff artist at a regional newspaper and taught drawing at a middle school.

Read More...
Artist: Anderson, Voldemar Petrovich (Anders, Vladimir) — Андерсон, Вольдемар Петрович (Андерс, Владимир)

Woldemar Petrovich Anderson was born into a working class family in Latvia. Early in life, he was enrolled in the Riga School of Painters and Decorators in 1910 but halted his education due to the outbreak of the First World War. From 1917 to 1922, he served with the 7th Latvian Rifle Regiment under the auspices of the Red Army during the Russian Civil War. Following the war, he moved to the USSR where he was a representative of the Latvian minority in the Soviet Union and he participated in the Latvian Labor Art Community that contained artists of the avant-garde movement. In 1922, he enrolled in classes at VKhUTEMAS (Higher Art and Technical Studios) and graduated in 1924. He subsequently began teaching in their art department after graduation. That same year, he became a member of A.Kh.R.R. (Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia). Anderson began exhibiting professionally as early as 1918, and he participated in the exhibition of the Tenth Anniversary of the Red Army (1928). During the Great Purge from 1936-1938, Anderson was arrested by Soviets and brought-up on charges of belonging to a counter-revolutionary, fascist organization. The charge reportedly stemmed from Anderson’s affiliation with the Prometheus Latvian Society for Education and Culture. He was executed in 1938 and buried at the Butovskii Shooting Range outside Moscow. Per various sources, Anderson’s birth year is also recorded as having been in 1883. His paintings are held in Russian and Latvian museums as well as in private collections.

Read More...
Printer: Mospoligraf (Moscow Polygraphic), Moscow — Мосполиграф, Москва

Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. When the Soviet Union formulated a plan in 1921 to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operators into state-owned trusts; Mospoligraf was organized in 1922 to carry out consolidation of the Moscow printing industry. With a staff of over two thousand, Mospoligraf was the second-largest printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust, and it oversaw a myriad of houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. After a reorganization, the trust leased its operators. For example, two printers under Mospoligraf- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishing. Throughout the history of the USSR, government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, but efforts to consolidate the industry (as a whole) remained disjointed.

Read More...
Publisher: A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution) — А.Х.Р (Ассоциация Художников Революции)

The Association of Artists of the Revolution was an artist cooperative from 1928 to 1932. From 1922-1928 it was called the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia. During the 1920s, the Association rose to prominence in the Soviet art world. It opened branches throughout the USSR, and it operated its own publishing house in Moscow at 25 Tsvetnoi Boulevard. The Association was abolished in 1932 when the government centralized a majority of independent arts organizations in the USSR.

Read More...