The fight of the red knight with the dark force

Poster Number: PP 700
Category: Civil War
Poster Notes: The auburn-colored horse and his rider represent the Bolshevik cause, the white horse and his rider represent White Russian forces, the knight in black might represent anarchist army forces.
Media Size: 43x29
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1919
Catalog Notes: PP 700 Civil War b
Artist: Zvorykin, Boris Vasilevich — Зворыкин, Борис Васильевич

Boris Vasil'evich Zvorykin was a graphic designer and book illustrator in early 20th century Russia. His rich illustrations are characterized by colorful and decorative details. Zvorykin is principally associated with the Neo-Russian art movement of the early 20th century. The son of a Moscow-based merchant, Zvorykin graduated from his core studies in 1892 and went on to study for one year at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture. By 1898 his illustrations were published in books in Imperial Russia.

Read More...
Printer: 2nd State Typography Lithography Workshop, Moscow — 2-я Государственная Типография, Москва

The 2nd State Typography Lithography Workshop was located in Moscow at 9 Trekhprudnyi Lane near the intersection of Mamonovskii Lane. The workshop occupied the former A.A. Levinson Partnership. Levenson's Moscow printing firm dates to 1887 when Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Levenson developed a plant with a speed press. His operation expanded to 450 workers by 1913 and at one point, his firm operated six of Moscow's eighteen high-speed presses. During World War I, Levinson's operation was subjugated under the Zemgorom (Chief Army Supply Committee of the All-Russian Union of Cities and Towns) for use during the war. During the Russian Revolution in 1917, the printing firm was nationalized. It was initially named the 2nd State Typography [Lithography] Workshop and then it was transferred (around 1920) to the MSNKh as the 16th State Printing Workshop.

Read More...
Publisher: State Publishing House — Государственный издательство

The State Publishing House had its origins in Imperial Russia as the Royal Print Yard in St. Petersburg. The Soviets nationalized the print yard in 1917 and requisitioned its presses. From requisitioning emerged the Publishing House of the Petrograd Soviet, formed in the winter of 1917 by the Literary and Publishing Department of People's Commissariat for Education. As the Red Army controlled more provinces and cities in former Imperial Russia, the State Publishing House developed offices outside St. Petersburg. For example in May 1919, the All-Russian Central Executive Committee created the State Publishing House of the RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic) in Moscow. Publishing offices were later created elsewhere around Soviet Russia as well as in outlying republics.

Read More...