Galina Konstantinova Shubina graduated from VKhuTEIN [Higher Art and Technical Institute] in Leningrad in 1928. She began to exhibit her works publically in 1929. Her main area of specialization was graphic design, including posters. Starting in 1940 and throughout the 1950s, Shubina produced posters for the publisher Izogiz. The body of work she created for the publisher launched her career making her one of the best-known female graphic artists in the Soviet Union. Her poster designs typically incorporated smiling Soviet citizens of varied generations and cherubic, energetic children. These kinds of Illustrations, while part of the Socialist Realist dogma relegated upon artistic culture in the Soviet Union before World War II, became a significant hallmark of her style. In 1948, she was awarded a Diploma of the 1st Degree at the International Poster Exhibition in Vienna. In the 1970s, Shubina focused on easel painting and moved away from poster design.
Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. In 1921, the Soviet Union formulated a plan to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts and in 1922, Mospoligraf was organized to consolidate the Moscow printing industry. Mospoligraf was the second printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust and it secured a myriad of printing houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. Mospoligraf incorporated over two thousand workers. When it was reorganized, it went on to lease to other operators. For example, two printers in the Mospoligraf trust-- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishers. While government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, efforts to consolidate the printing industry remained disjointed throughout the history of the USSR.
Ogiz (Ob"edinenie gosudarstvennykh knizhno-zhurnal'nykh izdatel'stv) is the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. It was established in 1930 by the RSFSR Sovnarkom to centralize all publishing activities in the Soviet Union. Aside from centralization, Ogiz helped eliminate duplication of printed products. Posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under the Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo) fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".