A noted graphic artist and poster designer, Leonid Alexandrovich Voronov’s career was prolific but short-lived. During the 1920s, he contributed book illustrations for Land and Factory, the Moscow publishing house. Beyond his book illustrations, Voronov primarily worked as poster designer for the film industry. Reklamfilm, the State-run motion picture advertising organization and Sovkino, the State-run film studio, each employed him as a graphic artist. With his designs, he often collaborated with the graphic artist Mikhail Evstaf'ev. Together the pair designed a host of artistically important posters during the silent era of Soviet motion pictures.
Mikhail Il'ich Evstaf'ev attended VkhUTEMAS, the Higher Artistic and Technical Workshops for his training. In his professional life, he was engaged in the propaganda arts during the 1920s, working primarily in the Soviet Union. Among his noted posters is “Comrades Peasants! Get ready for the All-Russian Agricultural and Handicraft Exhibition in Moscow” that advertised the 1923 exhibit by illustrating a female peasant carrying over-sized vegetables. Evstaf'ev also partnered with Leonid Alexandrovich Voronov on the design of film posters during the 1920s and 1930s. Their work was represented at the Second Exhibition of Cinema Posters in Moscow in 1926. While Evstaf'ev's death year is recorded as 1935, a 2000 dated publication cites it as having occurred between 1939 and 1942.
Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. In 1921, the Soviet Union formulated a plan to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts and in 1922, Mospoligraf was organized to consolidate the Moscow printing industry. Mospoligraf was the second printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust and it secured a myriad of printing houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. Mospoligraf incorporated over two thousand workers. When it was reorganized, it went on to lease to other operators. For example, two printers in the Mospoligraf trust-- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishers. While government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, efforts to consolidate the printing industry remained disjointed throughout the history of the USSR.
Narkomfin was created at a national level in 1923 and its management structure was based on the People's Commissariat of Finance of the RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic) that existed as early as 1917. Its powers overseeing state financial control had been previously under Rabkrin (Workers' and Peasants' Inspectorate). In 1946, Narkomfin was re-configured as the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. The entity existed until the collapse of the USSR in 1991.