As a noted graphic artist and poster designer, Leonid Alexandrovich Voronov’s career was prolific but short-lived. During the 1920s, he contributed book illustrations for the Moscow publishing house Land and Factory. Beyond his book illustrations, Voronov chiefly worked as poster designer for the film industry. Reklamfilm, the State-run motion picture advertising entity and Sovkino, the State-run film studio, each employed him as a graphic artist. In his design work, he often collaborated with the graphic artist Mikhail Evstaf'ev. Together the pair produced a host of artistically important posters during the silent era of Soviet motion pictures. The pair also exhibited their work at the Second Exhibition of Cinema Posters in Moscow in 1926.
Mikhail Il'ich Evstaf'ev attended VkhUTEMAS, the Higher Artistic and Technical Workshops for his training. In his professional life, he was engaged in the propaganda arts during the 1920s, working primarily in the Soviet Union. Among his noted posters is “Comrades Peasants! Get ready for the All-Russian Agricultural and Handicraft Exhibition in Moscow” that advertised the 1923 exhibit by illustrating a female peasant carrying over-sized vegetables. Evstaf'ev also partnered with Leonid Alexandrovich Voronov on the design of film posters during the 1920s and 1930s. Their work was represented at the Second Exhibition of Cinema Posters in Moscow in 1926. While Evstaf'ev's death year is recorded as 1935, a publication from the year 2000 cites it as having occurred between 1939 and 1942. The disparity might be due to the fact that Mikhail Evstaf'ev was reportedly arrested during the Stalinist Purges of the 1930s and his outcome is unknown.
Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. When the Soviet Union formulated a plan in 1921 to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operators into state-owned trusts; Mospoligraf was organized in 1922 to carry out consolidation of the Moscow printing industry. With a staff of over two thousand, Mospoligraf was the second-largest printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust, and it oversaw a myriad of houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. After a reorganization, the trust leased its operators. For example, two printers under Mospoligraf- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishing. Throughout the history of the USSR, government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, but efforts to consolidate the industry (as a whole) remained disjointed.
Narkomfin was created at a national level in 1923 and its management structure was based on the People's Commissariat of Finance of the RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic) that existed as early as 1917. Its powers overseeing state financial control had been previously under Rabkrin (Workers' and Peasants' Inspectorate). In 1946, Narkomfin was re-configured as the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. The entity existed until the collapse of the USSR in 1991.