The 1st Offset Printing Plant was under the management of the UPP of Lensovnarkoz during the late 1950s and early 1960s. The significance of "UPP of Lensovnarkoz" meant the plant’s operations were under the Printing Industry Management (UPP) of the Leningrad Economic Regional Council. The Offset Printing Plant had its roots in Imperial Russia. It was a large printing house founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel) located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg, (A.K.A. Petrograd). In 1917, the Council of People’s Commissars of Labor nationalized the printing house. In 1918, the Soviet government named the printing house "1st State Lithography" and thereafter, it underwent a variety of name changes.
Izogiz was the fine arts section of Ogiz publishing. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".