The artist's name on the poster is not indicated. By assigning Artist Unknown to a poster it also could mean the artist used a chop mark whereby no signature is seen thus rendering the artist's identity anonymous.
In 1918, the Soviets nationalized the Moscow-based printing workshop at 9 Bol'shaia Polianka Street (later named Soviet Street) belonging to brothers Wilhelm Theodor Mehnert and Herman Julius Mehnert. The building housing the workshop was founded by Julius Kirsten in the 1890s.
The People's Commissariat for Education (Narkompros) was formed in 1918. Education in the USSR remained under the Commissariat until 1946 when it was re-positioned as the Ministry of Education. Narkompros encompassed the former Imperial Ministry of Public Education, the State Education Committee, and the former Palace Ministry, an entity that managed theaters and the Academy of Arts and the royal palaces. Narkompros was first headed by Anatoli Lunacharskii, an art critic, author and a journalist. He supplanted Sergei Oldenburg, a noted “orientalist” and Tsarist Minister of Education. Overseeing Narkompros was the All-Russian Central Executive Committee (VTsIK) and Lunacharskii happened to be one of its elected members. Narkompros was divided into sections dedicated to: eradication of illiteracy, professional education, adult education, theatrical studies, among other divisions. There were also censorship offices (referred to as "control") to scrutinize publishing, live performances and public speeches in order to protect the government and the masses. While Narkompros was concerned with education, Proletkult (proletarskaya kultura) was supposed to be the creative overseer of the “proletarian” society. Accomplishing little more than disorganization and infighting, the Central Committee of the Bolshevik Party brought Proletkult to heel by assigning its duties to Narkompros in 1920 thus strengthening the Commissariat's sphere of influence.