Typolithography Workshop of Geokartprom V.T.U. (Millitary Topographic Directorate)
In 1918, the Soviets nationalized the Moscow-based printing workshop at 9 Bol'shaia Polianka Street (later named Soviet Street) belonging to brothers Wilhelm Theodor Mehnert and Herman Julius Mehnert. The building housing the workshop was founded by Julius Kirsten in the 1890s.
The Soviets placed the workshop under Geokartprom, a government trust formed in 1925 to centralize mapping. Geokartprom operated under the direction of the V.T.U. (Military Topographic Directorate) of the Headquarters of the Red Army. The workshop turned out military maps, military atlases, educational maps and with less frequency, it printed posters. After the Russian Civil War, the workshop was named after Evlampii Dunaev (1877-1919), the assistant chairman of the Soviet in the city of Nizhny Novgorod.