In 1924, the 1st State Lithography Workshop in Leningrad was named for Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and head of the State Publishing House. In the mid-1930s, 1st State Lithography became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz and was placed under the Council of Ministries of the USSR. Historically, the workshop was owned by Fedor Kibbel' prior to Soviet nationalization. It was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg.
Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.