Of the noted Soviet poster artists of the photomontage and Socialist Realism aesthetics, Viktor Borisovich Koretskii stands out as one of the most iconic. Koretskii attended the Secondary Professional Art School in Moscow from 1921 to 1929. He began working as a professional graphic designer in 1931 and he immediately gained recognition in the Soviet Union. His professional break-through occurred while working for the major state publishing houses Iskusstvo and Ogiz-Izogiz. During this that period of his work, he concentrated on (and perfected) his technique of photomontage. However, the period of the early 1930s in the Soviet Union meant that Koretskii had to move away from his own avant-garde style of discontinuous photomontage in order to be more consistent with the Socialist Realist dogma dictated by the government. During the 1930s, Koretskii also worked as an artistic director and decorator for Nikolai Okhlopkov 's Realistic Theatre and for Yurii Zavadsky's theatre-studio. From 1939 to 1987, he was a member of the editorial board of the film advertising publishing house Reklamfilm.
Historically, the 24th Lithography Workshop was owned by Fedor Kibbel' prior to Soviet nationalization. It was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Shortly after the workshop was nationalized, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), the head of the Soviet trade union and director of the State Publishing House. By the 1930s, this workshop became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and it was managed by the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust.
Ogiz (Ob"edinenie gosudarstvennykh knizhno-zhurnal'nykh izdatel'stv) is the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. It was established in 1930 by the Russian (RSFSR) Sovnarkom in order to centralize all publishing activities in the Soviet Union. As a result of centralization, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. Aside from centralization, the creation of Ogiz helped eliminate duplication of printed products. In 1931 the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications separated from Ogiz-- chiefly technical manuals and material having a propaganda nature. In 1949, Ogiz was transferred to Glavpoligrafizdat (Main Administration for Matters of Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling). In 1954, Glavpoligrafizdat was re-named Glavizdat and thereafter, all publishing, printing and bookselling was separated into three distinct entities.