This artist's signature, associated with the poster in the Collection, is illegible. It is possible the artist's surname was Gedman however this is only a tacit surmisation.
The Mospoligraf 15th Lithography Workshop was located at 23 Bol'shaia Sadovaia Street in Moscow. Its history begins with Ivan Mikhailovich Mashistov (1851-1914) the founder and managing director of Mashistov Typolithography. His firm printed magazines, historical books, and during the First World War, it printed and published patriotic posters. Under the Soviets, Mashistov Lithography became the 15th Lithographic Workshop and, it was also known as the MGSNKh (Moscow City Council of National Economy) Typo-lithography Workshop. In 1922 the Soviet Union consolidated the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts. The Mospoligraf Trust consolidated the Moscow printing industry and it was the second-largest Moscow printing trust outside of Mospechat’. Both trusts secured a myriad of local printing houses. The 15th Lithography Workshop was managed by Mospoligraf.
The International Organization for Aid to the Fighters of the Revolution (Mezhdunarodnaia Organizatsiia Pomoshchi Revoliutsioneram, MOPR) was popularly known as International Red Aid. It was a subsidiary of the Communist International and had offices around the world. In the U.S., MOPR operated under the name International Labor Defense (ILD). The ILD formed in Chicago in 1925 and was associated with the Workers' party. In 1947, the ILD merged with the National Federation for Constitutional Liberties forming the Civil Rights Congress, the legal defense arm of the Communist Party USA.