Galina Konstantinova Shubina graduated from VKhuTEIN [Higher Art and Technical Institute] in Leningrad in 1928. She began to exhibit her works publically in 1929. Her main area of specialization was graphic design, including posters. Starting in 1940 and throughout the 1950s, Shubina produced posters for the publisher Izogiz. The body of work she created for the publisher launched her career making her one of the best-known female graphic artists in the Soviet Union. Her poster designs typically incorporated smiling Soviet citizens of varied generations and cherubic, energetic children. These kinds of Illustrations, while part of the Socialist Realist dogma relegated upon artistic culture in the Soviet Union before World War II, became a significant hallmark of her style. In 1948, she was awarded a Diploma of the 1st Degree at the International Poster Exhibition in Vienna. In the 1970s, Shubina focused on easel painting and moved away from poster design.
The Krasnii Proletarii Workshop (A.K.A. 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography Workshop) was located at 16 Krasnoproletarskaia Street in Moscow. Around 1920 the printing workshop was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust. Historically, this printer was first under the ownership of the Russian entrepreneur Ivan Kushnerev who founded the Ivan Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896 his company was one of the largest printers in Imperial Russia. The Kushnerev shop was nationalized by the Soviets in 1919 and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council. It was then re-named the 3rd State Typolithography Workshop and, for a brief period, it was the 20th State Typolithography Workshop. It became the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was re-named Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. The workshop retained the Krasnii Proletarii moniker while its management (via a series of state trusts) varied over the next fifty years.
Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.