We are building our happy and cultured collective farm life!

Poster Number: PP 350
Category: Agriculture
Poster Notes: Written on plan: "Agricity of Victory". Agricity is the English translation of the Russian agrogorod, a concentration of state-owned farms that made an agricultural town. The model had advantages of offering rural and urban living. Nikita Khrushchev first proposed the Agricity in the 1930s before he was premier of the U.S.S.R. He again proposed them in 1950-51 (during Stalin's tenure) but the plan was halted. Ultimately, the Agricity concept proved too costly to maintain and the proposal was abandoned.
Media Size: 33x23
Poster Type: Offset
Publishing Date: 1950
Editorial Information: Editor B. Vorontsov
Technical Information on Poster: [Approved] August 15, 1950; Publication No. 9157; Order No. 1159; Price 1 ruble
Glavlit Directory Number: A-06263
Sources & Citation:

Mellor, R. E. H. (1982). The Soviet Union and its geographical problems. London: MacMillan.
Wädekin, K.-E. (1968). Rural reconstruction and the agrogorod: Developments in village planning and design since the 22nd Party Congress. München: Radio Liberty.

Catalog Notes: PP 350 Agriculture b
Artist: Koretskii, Viktor Borisovich (Koretsky, Victor) — Корецкий, Виктор Борисович

Of the noted Soviet poster artists of the photomontage and Socialist Realism aesthetics, Viktor Borisovich Koretskii stands out as one of the most iconic. Koretskii attended the Secondary Professional Art School in Moscow from 1921 to 1929. He began working as a professional graphic designer in 1931 and he immediately gained recognition in the Soviet Union. His professional break-through occurred while working for the major state publishing houses Iskusstvo and Ogiz-Izogiz. During this that period of his work, he concentrated on (and perfected) his technique of photomontage. However, the period of the early 1930s in the Soviet Union meant that Koretskii had to move away from his own avant-garde style of discontinuous photomontage in order to be more consistent with the Socialist Realist dogma dictated by the government. During the 1930s, Koretskii also worked as an artistic director and decorator for Nikolai Okhlopkov 's Realistic Theatre and for Yurii Zavadsky's theatre-studio. From 1939 to 1987, he was a member of the editorial board of the film advertising publishing house Reklamfilm.

Read More...
Printer: Leningrad Offset Printing Plant — Ленинградское Офсетная типография

Located at 9 Kronverkskaia Street in Leningrad, the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant had its roots in Imperial Russia. It was a large printing house founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel) located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg, (A.K.A. Petrograd). In 1917, the Council of People’s Commissars of Labor nationalized the printing house. In 1918, the Soviet government named the printing house the 1st State Lithography and thereafter, it underwent a variety of name changes. In 1924 it was re-named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. In the mid-1930s, it became the 24th Lithography Workshop of OGIZ (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and by the early 1950s, its name was changed to the 1st Leningrad Offset Printing Plant operating under the UPP of Lensovnarkoz. It remained under the UPP into the early 1960s when it was re-named the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant. Thereafter, it underwent management changes such as being under the printing trusts of Glavpoligrafprom, Glavpoligrafizdat and Soiuzpoligrafprom.

Read More...
Publisher: Iskusstvo (Art Publishing House), Moscow-Leningrad — Искусство, Москва-Ленинград

Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.

Read More...