Konstantin Konstantinovich Ivanov initially received art instruction from his father, the noted graphic artist Konstantin L. Ivanov. Formal instruction began for Konstantin Konstantinovich as early as 1933 when he attended an art school in Leningrad. It was from that point that he dedicated his life to graphic design. During World War II, Ivanov worked on the front line while contributing to posters produced by the TASS (Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union) Studios.
Veniamin Briskin studied at the Kharkov Institute of Fine Arts from 1921 to 1925. During his training, Briskin specialized in book illustration and poster design. Moving to Moscow in 1932, he worked for the satirical journal Krokodil [Crocodile] until 1933. In 1934, he began his life-long tenure at the Soviet newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda [Komsomol Truth] and in 1956, he joined the artistic staff of the leading Soviet newspaper, Pravda [Truth], where he produced caricatures and illustrations. Briskin illustrated a myriad of books including, In America and My Universities by Maxim Gorky, as well as a compilation of short stories by Mark Twain. During World War II, he contributed to the poster production of TASS Windows. Throughout the 1950s, Briskin created posters covering a variety of foreign policy-related themes including the Korean War, NATO and the United Nations, while also creating posters demonizing capitalist values. In 1956, Briskin co-founded Agit-plakat with Soviet poster artist, Konstantin Ivanov. Agit-plakat posters were based on caricature and satire and they represented a post-Stalinist reincarnation of the ROSTA and TASS Windows collectives. In 1967, Briskin was awarded the title of an Honored Artist of the Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic. His works were featured in 1970 at Moscow art exhibition "Satire in the Struggle for Peace". At that exhibition, Briskin was awarded the Soviet Peace Fund Gold Medal. In addition to his book, Opyt raboty nad agit-plakatom [The Experience of Working on Agitational posters] (1959), he authored a myriad of articles on Soviet poster production.
Located at 9 Kronverkskaia Street in Leningrad, the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant had its roots in Imperial Russia. It was a large printing house founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel) located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg, (A.K.A. Petrograd). In 1917, the Council of People’s Commissars of Labor nationalized the printing house. In 1918, the Soviet government named the printing house the 1st State Lithography and thereafter, it underwent a variety of name changes. In 1924 it was re-named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. In the mid-1930s, it became the 24th Lithography Workshop of OGIZ (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and by the early 1950s, its name was changed to the 1st Leningrad Offset Printing Plant operating under the UPP of Lensovnarkoz. It remained under the UPP into the early 1960s when it was re-named the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant. Thereafter, it underwent management changes such as being under the printing trusts of Glavpoligrafprom, Glavpoligrafizdat and Soiuzpoligrafprom.
Izogiz was the fine arts section of Ogiz publishing. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".