Into the savings bank for socialist construction projects

Poster Number: PP 696
Category: Economy
Media Size: 46.5x18
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c.1927
Technical Information on Poster: 3.299/171
Glavlit Directory Number: A-14017
Catalog Notes: PP 696 Economy; Sister poster PP 721
Artist: Voronov, Leonid Alexandrovich — Воронов, Леонид Александрович

A noted graphic artist and poster designer, Leonid Alexandrovich Voronov’s career was prolific but short-lived. During the 1920s, he contributed book illustrations for Land and Factory, the Moscow publishing house. Beyond his book illustrations, Voronov primarily worked as poster designer for the film industry. Reklamfilm, the State-run motion picture advertising organization and Sovkino, the State-run film studio, each employed him as a graphic artist. With his designs, he often collaborated with the graphic artist Mikhail Evstaf'ev. Together the pair designed a host of artistically important posters during the silent era of Soviet motion pictures.

Read More...
Artist: Evstaf'ev, Mikhail Il'ich — Евстафьев, Михаил Ильич

Mikhail Il'ich Evstaf'ev attended VkhUTEMAS, the Higher Artistic and Technical Workshops for his training. In his professional life, he was engaged in the propaganda arts during the 1920s, working primarily in the Soviet Union. Among his noted posters is “Comrades Peasants! Get ready for the All-Russian Agricultural and Handicraft Exhibition in Moscow” that advertised the 1923 exhibit by illustrating a female peasant carrying over-sized vegetables. Evstaf'ev also partnered with Leonid Alexandrovich Voronov on the design of film posters during the 1920s and 1930s. Their work was represented at the Second Exhibition of Cinema Posters in Moscow in 1926. While Evstaf'ev's death year is recorded as 1935, a 2000 dated publication cites it as having occurred between 1939 and 1942.

Read More...
Printer: Mospoligraf (Moscow Polygraphic) 15th Lithography Workshop, Moscow (formerly Mashistov) — 15-я Литография «Мосполиграф», Москва (бывш. Машистова)

The Mospoligraf 15th Lithography Workshop was located at 23 Bol'shaia Sadovaia Street in Moscow. Its history begins with Ivan Mikhailovich Mashistov (1851-1914) the founder and managing director of Mashistov Typolithography. His firm printed magazines, historical books, and during the First World War, it printed and published patriotic posters. Under the Soviets, Mashistov Lithography became the 15th Lithographic Workshop and, it was also known as the MGSNKh (Moscow City Council of National Economy) Typo-lithography Workshop. In 1922 the Soviet Union consolidated the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts. The Mospoligraf Trust consolidated the Moscow printing industry and it was the second-largest Moscow printing trust outside of Mospechat’. Both trusts secured a myriad of local printing houses. The 15th Lithography Workshop was managed by Mospoligraf.

Read More...
Publisher: Narkomfin (People's Commissariat of Finance), Financial Publishing House — Наркомфи

Narkomfin was created at a national level in 1923 and its management structure was based on the People's Commissariat of Finance of the RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic) that existed as early as 1917. Its powers overseeing state financial control had been previously under Rabkrin (Workers' and Peasants' Inspectorate). In 1946, Narkomfin was re-configured as the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. The entity existed until the collapse of the USSR in 1991.

Read More...