Women workers and women peasants, hurry to the training courses for Red Nurses and Nurses Orderlies! Help the Red Soldier at the front! Bring aid to the sick in the country! Go to infirmaries and hospitals.

Poster Number: PP 757
Category: Civil War
Media Size: 44.5x30
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1919
Technical Information on Poster: No. 65; [Printed at] Piatnitskoe Department, Moscow, 71 Piatnitskaia Street
Sources & Citation: Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1919-1921 by B. S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), p.194, poster 531; Russian Revolutionary Posters by V. Polonskii (1925), page 152, poster 423
Catalog Notes: PP 757 Civil War
Artist: Apsit, Aleksandr Petrovich (Apsītis, Aleksandrs) — Апситис, Александр Петрович

Alexandr Petrovich Apsit grew up amidst dire poverty and yet he received free instruction under the tutelage of the Saint-Petersburg painter, Lev Dmitriev-Kavkazskii.  By 1902, Apsit was noticed by the popular journals, including Rodina [Motherland], Zvezda [Star], and Niva, for which he produced sketches. He also illustrated the publications of writings by A.M. Gorkii, N.S. Leskov, and A.P. Chekhov, as well as those by D. Bedny, I.S. Nikritin, and M.E. Saltykov-Shchedrin. Through these commissions he gained a stellar reputation, becoming one of the best-paid illustrators in the city.

Read More...
Printer: 1st State Typo-lithography Workshop, Moscow (formerly Sytin) — 1-я Государственная типо-литография, Москва (до Сытина)

The 1st State Typo-lithography Workshop began as the Sharapov-Sytin Partnership in the era before the Russian Revolution. Ivan Dmitrievich Sytin (1851-1934) was the son of a peasant from the Kostroma region northeast of Moscow. In the 1860s, Sytin worked in Moscow as an apprentice and then as the manager for a printing shop owned by Peter Nikolaevich Sharapov. In 1879, Sytin opened his own printing shop in Moscow using a single press. By the start of the 20th century his shop (at Valovaia and Piatnitskaia streets) became the largest private printing company in tsarist Russia.

Read More...
Publisher: Litizdat (Literary and Publishing Department of the Political Directorate of the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic) — Литиздат

Litizdat (Literaturno-izdatel'skii otdel politicheskogo upravleniia RVSR) was established in June 1919 by order of the Department of the Political Directorate (PUR) of the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic (RVSR). A formal decree approved its existence in October that year. Due to the hierarchy of Litizdat's formation, its title is often abbreviated as Litizdat PUR RVSR on publications it issued. As the main publishing arm for the Red Army and the Red Navy, Litizdat distributed a total of 7.5 million posters and postcards between 1919 and 1922. After the Russian Civil War, Litizdat PUR was dissolved and its functions were divided into a succession of state publishing entities. In 1921, the key functions of Litizdat were assigned to the Department of Military Literature (Litrevsor) and by 1924, Litrevsor gave-way to the State Military Publishing House (Gosudarstvennoe voennoe izdatel'stvo), Voenizdat-Voengiz.

Read More...