Glory to Great Stalin, the Architect of Communism!

Poster Number: PP 871
Category: Stalin
Poster Notes: The tallest building in the background is the Kotelnicheskaia Embankment Building, one of Moscow's "seven sisters" skyscrapers completed in 1952. The bridge near the building is the Bolshoi Ustinskii Bridge, a steel arch spanning the Moscow River near the Yauza River. On the poster at the left is the old Moscow Orphanage building. After the Russian Revolution the orphanage was turned into offices for the trade unions.
Media Size: Please inquire
Poster Type: Lithograph and Offset
Publishing Date: 1952
Editorial Information: Editor E. Povolotskaia
Technical Information on Poster: Publication No. 10080. [Submitted] September 30, 1952. Size 1 large sheet. Order No. 8134. Price 1 ruble.
Glavlit Directory Number: A06665.
Catalog Notes: PP 871 Stalin b
Artist: Ivanov, Konstantin Konstantinovich — Иванов, Константин Константинович

Konstantin Konstantinovich Ivanov initially received art instruction from his father, the noted graphic artist Konstantin L. Ivanov. Formal instruction began for Konstantin Konstantinovich as early as 1933 when he attended an art school in Leningrad. It was from that point that he dedicated his life to graphic design. During World War II, Ivanov worked on the front line while contributing to posters produced by the TASS (Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union) Studios.

Read More...
Artist: Petrov, N. — Петров, Н.
Printer: 1st Exemplary Typography Workshop named for A. A. Zhdanov, Moscow — 1-я Образцовая типография им. А.А. Жданова

The 1st Exemplary Typography Workshop was named in honor of Andrei Alexandrovich Zhdanov (1896-1948), a Soviet military leader and a senior member of the Politburo who died in 1948. Reportedly, Andrei Zhdanov controlled the atomic espionage division of the USSR and he was Josef Stalin's closest confidant.

Read More...
Publisher: Iskusstvo (Art Publishing House), Moscow — Искусство, Москва

Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.

Read More...