In 1924, the 1st State Lithography Workshop in Leningrad was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. In the mid-1930s, this workshop became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz. Historically, the workshop had its roots in Imperial Russia. It was a large printing house founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel) located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg, (A.K.A. Petrograd). In 1917, the Council of People’s Commissars of Labor nationalized the printing house. In 1918, the Soviet government named the printing house "1st State Lithography" and thereafter, it underwent a variety of name changes. The printer was located at Located at 9 Kronverkskaia Street in St Petersburg.
The Association of Artists of the Revolution was an artist cooperative from 1928 to 1932. From 1922-1928 it was called the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia.