Vladimir Aleksandrovich Serov was a painter, poster artist and illustrator who primarily worked in the Socialist Realism aesthetic. In 1931, he graduated from InPII (Institute of Proletarian Visual Arts) and performed post-graduate work at InZhSA (Institute of Art, Sculpture and Architecture) where he served as an instructor from the 1930s until the 1960s. Serov also was the chairman of LOSKh (Union of Soviet Artists) from 1941 to 1948 and the chairman of Orgkomitet SKh (Organizing Committee of Soviet Artists) from 1957 to 1960. He became a member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR in 1947 and was elected its vice-president and later its president from 1962 to 1968. Politically, Vladimir Serov was a devout communist party member. He served as a deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR from 1958 until his death in 1968.
In the history of Soviet political posters, Nikolai Mikhailovich Kochergin is considered one of its pioneers. In 1918, Kochergin graduated from the Stroganov Central Industrial Art College where he later ventured into the professional world of graphic design. During the Russian Civil War, he supervised a poster publishing house and workshop in Kharkov, Ukraine. He was also one of the primary organizers of the Baku, Azerbaijan ROSTA (Russian Telegraph Agency) artist group that circulated posters throughout the Caucus region.
Historically, the 24th Lithography Workshop was owned by Fedor Kibbel' prior to Soviet nationalization. It was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Shortly after the workshop was nationalized, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), the head of the Soviet trade union and director of the State Publishing House. By the 1930s, this workshop became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and it was managed by the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust.
Izogiz was the fine arts section of Ogiz publishing. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".