The Kalinin Poligrafkombinat of Glavpoligrafprom was located at 5 Lenin Ave. (formerly Voroshilov Street) in Kalinin (now, Tver) a city northwest of Moscow. Poligrafkombinat is the portmanteau word for "printing plant". The plant was under the management of Glavpoligrafprom (Main Directorate of the Printing Industry) during the mid-1950s into the 1970s.
The history of IzoGiz begins with the formation of Ogiz, the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. In 1930, the Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz to centralize publishing under a monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, to streamline and control publishing production and its output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. The separation principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).