Nina Vatolina began producing posters in late 1930s and she went to become one of the leading Soviet poster artists of all time. She was a graduate of the Ogiz Technical School for Arts and of the Moscow Art Institute (class of 1942). Vatolina additionally acquired illustration skills from the master poster designer Viktor Deni. In fact, Deni considered Vatolina one of his most talented students.
The Kalinin Poligrafkombinat was located at 5 Lenin Ave. (formerly Voroshilov Street) in Kalinin (now known as Tver), a city northwest of Moscow. Poligrafkombinat is the portmanteau word for "printing plant". Throughout its existence, the name of this printing plant changed depending on the various state-owned trusts that handled its management.
Founded in 1963, Izobrazitel'noe Iskusstvo (Fine Art Publishers), was dedicated to producing monographs, books, textbooks and study guides on the visual arts. It also published postcards and posters. Prior to the publisher's organization, Izogiz (State Publishing House of Fine Art) produced the lion's share of fine arts material for publication in the USSR and abroad.