State Typography Workshop named for Evgenii Sokolov, Petrograd (formerly A.F. Marks)
The State Typography Workshop named for Evgenii Sokolov was located in Petrograd (St. Petersburg) at 29 Izmailovskii Avenue. Prior to the 1920s, this printer was the A.F. Marks'' Partnership Artistic Office. Founded in 1881, its owner was Adolf Fedorovich Marks (1838-1904), a successful printer and publisher. In late 1920, the A.F. Marks'' Partnership was nationalized by the Soviets and placed under Gosizdat, the state publisher. In 1922, the printer was placed under Petropechat', a state-owned trust that was created in the early 1920s to aid in the centralization of the printing industry. Thereafter, it became the 26th State Typography Workshop named for Evgenii Sokolov, a St. Petersburg-based printer and Russian Revolution participant who died while on a military assignment for the Red Army.
Koenker, D. (2005). Republic of labor: Russian printers and Soviet socialism, 1918-1930. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
Ruud, C. A. (1990). Russian entrepreneur: Publisher Ivan Sytin of Moscow : 1851-1934. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press.
citywalls.ru (Typography Workshop named for Evgenii Sokolov)