Mikhail Mikhailovich Shcheglov was a Soviet-based artist, graphic artist and painter. He spent his childhood in Siberia where he began submitting cartoons in Siberian newspapers and, his work appeared in the satirical magazine Siluetty Siberia (Silhouettes of Siberia). Shcheglov graduated from the Moscow Stroganov School of Art. He worked in Tomsk from 1906 to 1913 and from 1942 to 1944. The main focus of his work was graphic design for books. From 1923, Shcheglov resided in Simferopol', Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, where he worked designing posters and creating satirical drawings.
In 1918, the Soviets nationalized the Moscow printing works of brothers Wilhelm Theodor Mehnert and Herman Julius Mehnert. The building housing the works was founded in the 1890s by the printer Julius Kirsten at 9 Bol'shaia Polianka Street (later named Soviet Street). The Soviets placed the printing works under Geokartprom, a government trust formed in 1925 to centralize mapping. Geokartprom operated under the V.T.U. (Military Topographic Directorate) of the Red Army and turned out military maps, military atlases, educational maps, and with less frequency, it printed posters. After the Russian Civil War, the printing works were named after Evlampii Dunaev (1877-1919), assistant chairman of the Nizhny Novgorod city Soviet.
Knigospilka was the All-Ukrainian Cooperative Book Merchandising and Publishing Union. Based in Kharkov, Ukraine, it operated from 1920 to 1929. While it occasionally published posters, its chief task was turning out books and literature for use in Consumers' Societies, Workers' and Transport Societies, and for the rural population in Ukraine. To that end, the publisher played a role in the implementation of Communist Party policy in the countryside. After 1922, Knigospilka concentrated on publishing informational literature concerning agriculture in the rural cooperative movement.