In 1918, the Soviets nationalized the Moscow printing works of brothers Wilhelm Theodor Mehnert and Herman Julius Mehnert. The building housing the works was founded in the 1890s by the printer Julius Kirsten at 9 Bol'shaia Polianka Street (later named Soviet Street). The Soviets placed the printing works under Geokartprom, a government trust formed in 1925 to centralize mapping. Geokartprom operated under the V.T.U. (Military Topographic Directorate) of the Red Army and turned out military maps, military atlases, educational maps, and with less frequency, it printed posters. After the Russian Civil War, the printing works were named after Evlampii Dunaev (1877-1919), assistant chairman of the Nizhny Novgorod city Soviet.